Saturday, April 23, 2005

What Dialect Do You Speak?

You know how everyone sometimes wishes that they'd chosen a different career sometimes? Well for me, when I get sick of all the computer stuff, I sometimes wish I'd gone into linguistics instead of media and technology.

At any rate, I'm currently reviewing the latest version of Libranet Linux and in the course of doing so, I loaded up one of its included RSS readers and stumbled (via ChangeLog) on a fun little survey that tries to determine what American dialect you speak.

They don't seem to make any claims of accuracy, although I think it pegged my speaking style fairly well as "General American English" considering that I grew up in basically every region of the country except the west coast. Any of my handful of readers care to share your results?



Your Linguistic Profile:



65% General American English

20% Yankee

10% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

0% Midwestern